Beginnings Matter: Morning Routines

Ah, the first few minutes in the classroom.

funnies-055-2014-01-01-funny-bits

Combine that with the first few minutes in the morning Picture1of the first few weeks of school, and it’s enough to drive a person crazy!  I wanted to share with you something that I do to help my kiddos learn the routines of the morning.

It’s super simple – if you know me, I’m all about simple, practical, and easy.

Enter the Morning Jobs I Can Cards. We don’t start the year with all of the job cards hanging up.  I start with the most important one.  In the fall – it’s simply hanging up our backpacks.  As the days go on, and I introduce the other jobs, I add the other I can cards.  The children always refer to these job cards to make sure that they are finishing all of their morning jobs.

Slide9

Here are some of the morning jobs that I do…putting their folders in their mailboxes (after they check for notes).

Slide10

Signing in…

Slide11

Sometimes I will have them sign in on the IWB by answering a question.

Slide13

They will choose their lunch.  The larger picture is mine, the other two were unfortunately dead-end pins.  If you know who those belong to, please let me know, so I can give them credit!

Slide14

I love this interactive check in from Pink Cat Studio!

Slide15

If you would like these morning job cards for your classroom, you can download them for free {here}.Slide1Slide4

17 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just made my day! Our blog is in the middle of a bit of a make-over. I was going through all of the blogs we follow to see if the buttons were still working. When I came to your's, I was re-directed to your latest post. SHAZAM!! I immediately saw an ecard that I created! :) The one on multi-tasking. As corny as it sounds, it makes me smile when I make a joke that other teachers can so easily relate to. Thanks for the smile!!! Have a great year. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that ecard! It's the truth!! I have shared it on my FB before and also used it in my presentation at I teach K! Thanks for sharing it!!!

      Delete
  3. I was just thinking about my morning routine. Love this, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great! Do you have the IWB sign-in graphs available on TPT? I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be on the lookout! Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I'm so excited for the IWF sign-in graphs! When do you think they will be available? Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Theese look great! I can't wait! Will the sign in paper sheets be included with the IWB version? Any chance this will be ready for Wednesday? Thanks!

      Delete
  5. LOVE the morning I can.. cards!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the routine cards. I love the unique ways of signing them in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute! Love the routine cards. It's great to phrase them with "I can...". Thanks for sharing!

    Lisa
    Primary Explorers

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea. You are super creative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you don't mind me asking, what is the name of the font you used on these super cute cards? I would love to add in one for going to breakfast and would be so excited if the font was consistent :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to know how you do the IWB activity?

    ReplyDelete