It’s back to school time…what about dinner?

imageI have to admit, I am NOT a cook.  I don’t mind the actual cooking process, but I have a BIG problem deciding what to cook, and honestly, I hate to clean up the mess! So anything that I can cook in one pot or in the microwave is good to go for me!

In addition to the lack of desire for cooking, the time factor comes into play.  I generally get home around 5 {exhausted}.  But the kids are still hungry.  In addition to his 8-5 job, hubby teaches Norwegian in the evenings at the university.  He has been doing this since we have been in college, so I’m used to not having him home much during the school year.  So, I am usually just making dinner for me and the two {picky} girlies. Generally, it’s something simple – sandwiches, soup, ahem..cereal…

Here’s where you guys come in.  Link up with your favorite, easiest weeknight dinner.  Let’s all add to our recipe books!

Rules:

1. Link up with a recipe on your blog – if you want to cook it and take pictures as you cook – even better! After all, some of us are visual learners, right?!

2. Make sure you link to the exact page of your post, not to your whole blog.

4. Be sure to grab my button and post it to your blog!

image

3. If you CAN, copy and paste your recipe into a word doc, pdf it and link it to your blog post.  That way we all can just click print and have a plethora of recipes at our fingertips!

I’ll start us off with a recipe my hubby (yep) made the other night that I thought was just delish…

From Unclebens.com:

Chicken Enchiladas

enchiladas

INGREDIENTS

2 chicken breast poached and shredded
8 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
2 cups red enchilada sauce
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
1 box UNCLE BEN’S® Whole Grain White Taco Style
1 cup yellow onion diced
1 cup corn kernels
1 cup black beans

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Prepare the UNCLE BEN’S® Whole Grain White Rice Taco Style as instructed on the box.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. While rice is cooking, sauté onion, corn and black beans. Add shredded chicken. Set aside.
4. When rice is finished cooking, mix into onion, corn, bean and chicken mixture.
5. Heat tortillas in microwave for about 15 seconds. One at a time, lay 1 cup of chicken mixture in middle of tortilla. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce. Roll tortilla closed, and then lay seam side down in a deep baking dish. Continue with all 8 tortillas. Add about 1 to 2 cups more enchilada sauce over the top of the tortillas. Cover with Monterey Jack cheese, and bake for 20 minutes, or until internal temperature is 140 F degrees.
6. Serve enchiladas hot, topped with fresh chopped cilantro.

image
 

9 comments:

  1. This is such a cute idea. I am going into the vault of my blog to link up a great recipe. I am having a giveaway right now and I hope you come and join me!
    littlemisskindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I linked my linky party from last week about school night dinners. Great minds think alike. :)

    ❤Jodi from...
    ★★The Clutter-Free Classroom★★
    Helping Teachers Get Organized

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jodi - yay! thanks!! the more recipes the better, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I am a new mommy and I need all the easy meal recipes I can get! I also use www.skinnytaste.com all the time. Great site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh God...The same case is with me when I stay alone. I cooks with my choice but after that the real war is there to clean up the mess. Its just some what climbing a mountain for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum that looks great. I don't have recipes on my blog but my sis is a 3rd grade teacher who has a teaching/easy cooking blog. You should follow it! I've tried almost all of her recipes and they're quick and delish!

    Mishelle's blog: thirdgradealdente.blogspot.com

    check out my teaching blog (no recipes): http://laura-armstrong-martinez.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for doing this! I can't wait to expand my recipe repetoire! :0)

    Oh My Little Classity Class

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea!! I added my link...hopefully I did it all correctly?! I am new to blogging and this is my first linky party-yay!! :)

    Megan
    mrsproppskindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful idea. When I don't have company in town I will try to get on here and link up and follow the other links to some great recipes. With 3 kids and their activities I need something easy!

    Sheri
    kindergarten-roundup

    ReplyDelete